HOW AYURVEDA CAN HELP YOU IN TREATING ENLARGED PROSTATE?
Ayurvedic treatment for prostate enlargement:A large percentage of men over fifty years of age suffer from prostate troubles of one form or other. The prostate gland is a male gland situated at the base of the urinary bladder and around the beginning of the urethra.
There are various types of prostate disorders, the more important being hypertrophy or enlargement of the prostate gland and prostatitis or inflammation in the prostate gland.
There are two warning signals to indicate the possibility of prostate disorders. The first is the interference with the passage of urine and the second is the need to void the urine frequently during the night’s sleep. Other symptoms are a dull aching pain in the lower back and pain in the hips, legs and feet.
Prostate cancer is one of the significant causes of death in elderly men and is one of the most common cancers originated from enlarged prostate. Thus, timely diagnosis of prostate enlargement is important to stop its progression towards cancer.
DIAGNOSIS OF PROSTATE ENLARGEMENT
Prostate enlargement can be diagnosed by its symptoms and confirmed by laboratory test i.e.
- PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen): Increased PSA in blood can help to establish if the prostatic enlargement is benign or cancerous.
- Enlarged prostate by rectal exam
- Measurement of a protein in urine
However, there are Ayurvedic remedies and natural treatment options which help to reduce the PSA levels and keep them in control to normal limits. There are certain Ayurvedic medicines which help to reduce the size of the prostate in case of benign prostatic hypertrophy. Some of Ayurvedic treatment for prostate enlargement given below.
AYURVEDIC REMEDIES: These herbs are the best Ayurvedic treatment for prostate enlargement:
- SHILAJEET (ASPHALTUM)
- It is a very famous herbo-mineral substance found in the Indian Himalayan region blessed with anti-ageing and numerous other advantages.
- It is a balanced general tonic comprising useful mineral and organic constituents. It is taken to help digestion and with the assimilation of foods.
- Shilajeet is often used in combination with other specific plant decoctions to support various functions. Traditionally it has been used in genitourinary infections, diabetes, enlarge prostate, bronchial asthama, stomach problems, stress, anxiety and convalescence indication.
- It is utilized to treat all sorts of male health disorders, which are related to the genital-urinary system. It is even used for treating the inconvenience in urination because of the enlarged prostate gland.
- This is one of the valuable pureAyurvedic medicines that are used in treating enlarged prostate gland and it has been proven to enhance the sexual power in males to a certain extent. It acts as a natural libido enhancer which helps in prolonged erection and boosts the sexual life.
- USHIRA (VETIVERIA ZIZANIOIDES)
- Ushira is popularly known as Khas, or Khus grass in India. It is a densely tufted grass, found throughout the plains and lower hills of India, particularly on the river banks.
- Different parts of this grass is used for many diseases such as mouth ulcers, fever, boil, epilepsy, burn, headache, enlarge prostate etc.
- These effects of Ushira are due to the presence of sesquiterpenes in the roots and phenolic compounds in the leaves.
- SWET CHANDAN (SANTALUM ALBUM)
- Indiglenous to southern part of India. It is a parasitic tree, bury’s its root in surrounding trees, and takes nutrition.
- Swet Chandan and its essential oil derived from its heartwood have been used to treat various ailments. The scent of the essential oil of Chandan calms the mind, nervous system, and mood, thus, awakens and enliven intelligence, courage, strength and happiness.
- This is also used for medicinal purpose as it has sedative, aromatic, diuretic, diaphoretic, disinfectant, aphrodisiac, cardio tonic, expectorant, haemostatic and antipyretic properties which can help to treat problems like acidity, gonorrhea, prostate enlargement, bronchial and skin ailments.
- It is also good for urinary tract infections, due to too much heat or due to too much drinking of alcohol, or respiratory disorders, cystitis and gonorrhea. It produces freshness in body and mind.
- This plant does all these activities with the help of phytochemicals present inside the plant parts. The main chemical constituent of essential oil is santalola which is composed of C15H24 It has hydrocarbons like santene, nortricyclo-ekasantalene, aldehydes like nor-tricyclo-kasantalal 3,7,8 and the acids α-and β- santalic acids and alcohols like santenol, α-santalol, beta-santalol, teresantalol and more.
- Small Caltrop (Tribulus terrestris) has traditionally been used to reduce inflammation and improve urination – the latter includes an ability to ease painful, burning sensations when urinating.
- This herb having therapeutic property helpful in raising the testosterone levels and enhances blood flow to the penis improving the functioning of sex organs. It brings regularity in proper urine flow, stops dribbling after urination, able to control urgent desire to of frequent urination and also imparts strength to genitor-urinary system.
- Acacia catechu has traditionally been used as an aphrodisiac and to reduce an enlarged prostate.
- It has anti-microbial, antioxidant, 5α-reductase enzyme inhibitory & conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone properties. All these activities combine and help to reduce the prostate size. This is the most effective Ayurvedic treatment for prostate enlargement.
- Asparagus racemosus helps relieve inflammation and improves urination – including urine retention.
- It is a soothing general remedy for the genitourinary system. A builder and balancer for reproductive organs, it increases semen quality as well as quantity.
- This cooling herb acts as a blood cleanser, supports the immune system, and acts as a soothing treatment for dry or inflamed membranes of the sex organs. As a mild diuretic, it can relieve the congestion of the boggy prostate.
- This Hog weed is prescribed in all cases of urinary problems that are caused due to prostate ailments.
- Punarnava helps to increase the renal blood flow. It is used as an effective diuretic, anti-spasmodic, and anti-inflammatory remedy with pain relieving qualities for urinary tract issues, including infections.
- Unlike most diuretics, which are detoxifying, punarnava is a tissue builder. This herb is perfectly designed for prostate problems.
- Globe thistle is very useful in prostate enlargement treatment. It exhibits 5α-reductase inhibitory and anti-androgenic activity.
- It is a blood purifier and stimulant to the heart, hence, used in cardiac debility, associated with edema. The medicated oil of its roots is salutary as an aphrodisiac.
- LATA KARANJ: CAESALPINIA BONDUCELLA
- It has also been found to exert a soothing, anti-inflammatory action, which makes it popularly beneficial for improving an enlarged prostate. It helps to eliminate urinary problems.
- Its seeds contain stearic, palmitic, octadeca -4, octadeca-2, ligoceric, linolenic and oleic acids. They also contain bonducellin, arginine, citrulline and aspartic acid which might be involved in managing enlarged prostate.
- Pygeum has been shown in studies to improve urinary outflow, reduce residual urine left in the bladder, and to help with urinary urgency and frequency.
- The major active components of pygeum bark are fatty acids and fat-soluble sterols called phytosterols. Phytosterols can inhibit the body’s production of dihydrotestosterone (DHT), which is a hormone that can increase the risk of BPH and prostate cancer. Pygeum also reduces the number of receptor sites where DHT can attach to cells.
- Prosman is a clinically evaluated and patented supplement for effective management of enlarged prostate and its symptoms.
These herbs are available in the market in the form of supplements under various brand names to help improve enlarged prostate. These herbs are helps in Ayurvedic treatment for prostate enlargement. Some of them are clinically proven to manage prostate problems.