Prostate enlargement is the disease of every old age man. It involves the unwanted increase in size of the prostate gland. It reduces the quality of life of the affected men to such an extent that the person faces depressive and stressful conditions.
Many other consequences of enlarged prostate are the urinary problems such as frequent urination at night, dribbling, difficulty to urinate properly, bladder feels to be full every time, inflamed feeling, etc. These consequences increase as the prostate size increase.
When any man faces such problems then he obviously looks for treatment. Most of the time before going to take any medications, other remedies are opted by a person. These remedies include:
Dietary changes – Foods to be consumed
Diet plays a very critical role in shrinking prostate size. Dietary effect starts from providing relief from urinary problems such as urinary frequency and urinary urgency. To get such relief, following diet should be started:
- Low-fat diet: To inhibit the accumulation of fat inside body or any of the tissues of prostate
- More consumption of vegetables such as four or more servings in a day
- Vegetables containing high amount of Vitamin C should be consumed as it could help reduce the size of the prostate. Fruits rich in Vitamin C can also be eaten such as berries, strawberries, raspberries, citrus fruits, spinach, broccoli, mangoes, etc.
- Consumption of zinc-containing diet will also be beneficial such as beans, sea food like oysters, crabs, etc.
Dietary changes – Foods to be avoided
There are some food items which increase inflammation of the prostate and bladder problems. These food items should be eliminated from your diet.
- Red meat: It can raise the arachidonic acid levels inside body which can trigger inflammation.
- Eggs & poultry: It can increase the symptoms of enlarged prostate. It can also increase arachidonic acids levels inside body.
- Processed food: Junk food can easily increase the inflammatory responses inside body, thus, it is better to stay away from junk food.
- Caffeine: Coffee, tea or any drink rich in caffeine have high capability to increase the urinary problems as caffeine has diuretic effect.
- Dairy food: As it has been told earlier that low-fat diet is healthy to reduce prostate size, thus, diary food should be avoided as it is high in saturated fat and inflammatory components.
- Alcohol: This beverage is very risky for increased prostate as it irritates the urinary bladder and increases the urge to urinate frequently.
Physical activity or exercise on regular basis is very beneficial to reduce the size of the prostate. Exercise is otherwise good for maintaining healthy body, especially during old age. These exercises are:
- Kegel exercises: These exercises help to strength the pelvic floor muscles which help to prevent urinating problems.
- Aerobic exercises: Such as walking, jogging, jumping rope, etc
- Resistance exercises: Such as swimming, lifting weights, push-ups, etc
Increased body weight is the best home for diseases. Similarly, prostate enlargement also worsens if a man has increased body weight to be included in overweight or obese men.
It is very well-known that accumulation of fat inside body gives rise to weight gain. This fat accumulation also contributes in producing hormones known as adipokines. They are also inflammatory hormones. Their excessive production leads to the formation of chronic inflammation which worsens prostate enlargement.
It is better to lose some weight to get relief from inflammation inside prostate. Weight can be easily lost by regular exercise (without any gaps) and dietary changes. When it is known that you have to make dietary changes and do exercise, then, it is better to perform those exercises which could help you lose body weight and reduce inflammation, simultaneously. These exercises and dietary changes have been already given above.
It has been recommended that stress should be as much less as possible in prostate enlargement. Stress is a direct contributor in worsening urinary problems in men.
It has been observed that stress decreases the levels of zinc inside body. Zinc deficiency is a major cause of prostate enlargement.
It is better to do stress-relieving exercises such as yoga, jogging, cycling, listening to pleasant music, being involved in activities related to kids, etc.
Manage hormone levels
Disturbed hormones, mainly testosterone, are the reason behind unwanted growth of the prostate. Testosterone is converted to Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) inside human body by the enzyme known as 5-alpha reductase. This Dihydrotestosterone is much more potent form of testosterone.
Excessive production of DHT is the major cause of enlarged prostate. Thus, those remedies are used which could lower the production of DHT. There are some food items which could help to lower the production of DHT and thus, shrink the size of the prostate. These are:
- Pumpkin seeds
- Dry fruits
- Zinc-containing food items such as spinach, kale, cashews, mushroom, etc
- Berries such as strawberries, raspberries, etc
Thus, if prostate has been started to be enlarged, then, it is better to treat it now, before it get worse. The above given remedies could be chosen to avoid the consumption of medications and to get the treatment free of any side effects.
If the condition still persists and cannot be cured without medications, then, herbal supplements, which are clinically-proven, should be chosen to prevent the side effects and to get the natural treatment. Prosman is one such supplement, which is clinically proven and patented and is extracted from plum prunes. It is safe and effective in managing enlarged prostate. Herbal Remedies For prostate Enlargement