UNANI TREATMENT FOR PROSTATE ENLARGEMENT
Prostate enlargement is most common age-related problem in men. Modern systems of treatment have described many causes and remedies of this disease. Unani system too has description of disease and the treatment. The description is in different ways. At some places, it has been described in symptomatic form while at other places it has been considered as a disease.
Prostate enlargement is largely attributable to hormonal change as associated with aging. A hormone called dihydrotestosterone (DHT) tends to accumulate in the prostate causing cells to harden and enlarge and thereby creating resistance to the flow of urine from bladder. This is a non-cancerous condition.
The main symptom in prostate enlargement is the inability to completely and freely urinate. Typically the afflicted man needs to get out of bed several times at night to urinate but finds his urine is minimal and often returns to bed with a full bladder. The long term effects can lead to kidney, bladder, and urinary tract infections and in severe cases lead to permanent kidney damage.
UNANI TREATMENT FOR PROSTATE ENLARGEMENT is considered as the science and art of healing. It is a noble profession of healing the suffering person. The system is popular in the society because of its unique approach to preventive and curative aspects of health care.
UNANI TREATMENT FOR PROSTATE ENLARGEMENT facilitates body to regain or strengthen the balance. It follows the humoural theory that postulates presence of four humors in the body namely:
- Blood (Dum)
- Phlegm (balgham)
- Yellow bile (safra)
- Sauda (black bile)
Before starting the actual treatment, patient’s pulse is examined to know the dominant humor at that particular time. Depending upon the symptoms of patient urine and stool tests are also done.
Prostate enlargement has different names in Unani literature like Waram-e-unq-e-masana (swelling of the neck of urinary bladder), Insidad-e-mujra-e-masana (obstruction of the outlet of the urinary bladder) or Symptomatic description.
There are many single and compound drugs which are effective in the treatment of this disease. Mainly there are four types of unani treatments available for managing any disease:
- Ilaj bil tadbeer (regimental therapy):It is a detoxification method that improves constitution of body by removing waste materials. Regimental therapy also protects health and increases defense mechanism of the body. Important techniques in regimental therapy include massage (dalk, malish), Turkish bath (hammam), exercise (Riyazat), leeching (Taleeq-e-Alaq) and venesection (incision of a vein for the removal or withdrawal of blood).
- Ilaj bil Ghiza (dietotherapy): As the name suggests, dietotherapy involves regulation of the quantity and quality of your diet. Unani physician may ask you to increase the intake of specific food that is helpful to alleviate symptoms of the disease.
- Ilaj bil dawa (Pharmacotherapy): Natural drugs from plant, minerals and animal drugs are used in unani system. Potency and temperament of drugs are important consideration in unani treatment. The drugs are supposed to act according to their temperament e. hot, cold, moist and dry. Unani medicines are available in form of tablets, decoctions, infusion, Jawarish, Majoon, Khamira, Syrup and powder.
- Jarahat (Surgery): Ancient physicians of unani system were considered to be pioneer in the field. However, at present only minor surgery is in vogue in this system.
Prevention of prostate enlargement by Ilaj bil Ghiza or dietotherapy
Unani system offers some tips for prevention of prostate troubles which include diet and lifestyle changes:-
- Low fat/high protein diet:A healthy diet plays an important role in prostate health. Aim for a diet that is moderately high in proteins (44% of your calories should be protein) since a high protein diet may inhibit the production of (5-α-reductase) the enzyme that converts testosterone to DHT. Also look for a diet that is low in carbohydrates, low in animal fats, and high in essential fatty acids. Look for whole, unprocessed foods and eat plenty of sunflower or pumpkin seeds each day. Add raw tomatoes to your diet.
- Push the fluids:Drink plenty of fluids. Adequate fluid intake can help prevent bladder infections, cystitis and kidney problems that are often associated with an enlarged prostate.
- Increase your fiber:More fiber in the diet may reduce the risk of prostate problems by lowering the levels of reproductive hormones in the body.
- Include soy in your diet:Soy may decrease the chance of getting prostate problems by reducing troublesome cholesterol levels.
- Schedule an annual prostate exam:Annual prostate exams from doctors can help catch problems early and diagnose and treat any of the pre-existing problems.
- Maintain your ideal weight:If you need to lose weight, do it. Studies show that men with 43 inch waist or greater are 50% more likely than normal weight men to suffer from prostate enlargement.
- Abstain from alcohol:Studies have shown that higher the alcohol intake the more likely a man suffers from prostate enlargement. So give up Beer & Alcohol. Caffeine and sugar should also be avoided or moderated.
- Keep your cholesterol down:Free radical damaged cholesterol may play a role in stimulating the prostate cell formation that may cause an enlarged prostate so it is important to keep your cholesterol level within a healthy range.
With regard to the Unani treatment for prostate troubles, the Unani approach is essentially a constitutional and individualistic treatment. The Unani treatment is determined after evaluation of the patient’s case in detail. Various aspects of patient’s life style, personality, food habits, emotional make up, personal and family history are evaluated appropriately to decide correct medicines to treat Prostate troubles. Thus, choosing unani treatment for prostate enlargement can be beneficial for long-term effects.